Sunday, September 19, 2010

dear moses

a poem from my OT Survey Textbook:


By Nebo's lovely mountain,
On this side Jordan's wave,
In a vale in the land of Moab,
There lies a lonely grace.
But no man dug that sepulchre
And no man saw it e'er;
For the angels of God upturned the sod,
And laid the dead man there.

O Lonely tomb in Moab's land,
O Dark Beth-peor's hill,
Speak to these curious hearts of ours,
And teach them to be still.
God hath his mysteries of grace---
Ways that we cannot tell;
He hides them deep, like the secret sleep
Of him he loved so well.





I choked up reading the end of Deuteronomy. Top it off with this slammin poem by Cecil Frances Alexander, and I was borderline wiping my runny nose with sleeve of my extra cozy Moody Dad! sweatshirt...25% from the bookstore.

Moses loved the Lord so much. And, he messed up a lot too. Which is good news for us. Because that means that the Lord can use us even when we mess up...Like hitting rocks twice and yelling at them (numbers 22).

read the poem again. and then read exodus through deuteronomy. then read the poem again, and you try to tell me that you don't get a little ferklempt when Moses goes to be with the Lord.

It'll be good to meet him one day.

1 comment:

  1. wow! i haven't read either of those books through but I really am excited to see what the lord uses them for and what he inspires in me when I do. The poem you put up was really touching :). I love reading about the men and women of the bible and their mistakes. It really shows just how IMPERFECT we are no matter how spiritual or GODLY we may seem to others. We all make mistakes and fall short and for me someone who is constantly tripping over her own two feet I really just love to hear these things. They encourage me to not give up and to keep my focus on GOD. amen to that

    ♥cheche

    ReplyDelete